3 posts tagged Science fiction
3 posts tagged Science fiction
Friday October 14 Steampunk Panels
The Del Rey Spectra Steampunk Zombie Invasion
Friday 1:15 pm - 2:15 pm
Join authors Peter Brett, Naomi Novik, Lia Habel, C.E. Murphy, Scott Westerfeld, plus Del Rey Spectra editorial staff as they reveal strange and ominous projects in the works. Limited prizes to be awarded, while supplies last.
Friday 7:45 pm - 8:45 pm
Curious about steampunk? Want to learn more about the genre that is rapidly becoming the next big subculture trend? Then come join author and noted steampunk expert G. D. Falksen as he leads a panel discussing all things steampunk. This panel will cover the basics of the steampunk genre, its development as a subculture and fashion trend, and will also explore current developments in steampunk literature, fashion and related topics. There will be all manner of giveaways of many steampunk products at the end of this panel.
Steampunk in Comics and Literature
Friday 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Steampunk traces its origins back to the science fiction of the 19th century, and the term itself was coined to describe a genre of Victorian sci-fi being written by modern authors. At the same time, steampunk and Victorian industrial age aesthetics have long held a great fascination for comic and manga artists of various backgrounds. This panel will discuss steampunk as a literary and artistic genre, examining steampunk’s literary origins and early examples of steampunk in comic book medium, as well as modern examples from both mediums such as Jay Lake’s Mainspring, G. D. Falksen’s Blood In The Skies, Alan Moore’s The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Girl Genius by Phil and Kaja Foglio. The panel will also feature first looks at upcoming titles and give aways from leading publishers such as Wildside Press, Orbit Books, and Yen Press.
- G. D. Falksen
- Fyodor A. Pavlov
- Jared Axelrod
- Kate Locke
- Tee Morris
- Lawrence Gullo
- Mark Siegel
- Evelyn Kriete
- Juyoun Lee
Saturday October 15
NYCC & NYAF Steampunk meet up
Saturday 1:30pm At the Starbucks on Level 2 of the Javits center (see map here for where: javitscenter.com map). At 1:15, after everyone is rounded up, we will then go en masse to find a good spot to take fun photos, make new pals and talk. There will be prizes from Orbit Books, Yen Press and Wildside Press while supplies last.
- Saturday Author signing for G. D. Falksen
Autographing Table 7, Autographing Area—North Hall
Bring your copy of the first book of the steampunk epic The Hellfire Chronicles series, Blood in the Skies or anything else written by G. D. Falksen to have them signed. Exclusive prizes will be given out at random to those who come to this event, including tickets to Dorian’s Parlor, exclusive art prints, prototypes, and many other great surprises. All to make it more interesting and entertaining for you.
Sunday October 16
Unofficial Steampunk Photo Safari
The whole Javits center.
This is a chance for you shutter bugs to test your skill and talent. You photographers are challenged to take photos of the following lists detailed here on the contest’s flicker group. The photographer that captures with his lens the best one thing on the list (and has the best shots according to our judge) wins bragging rights till 2012. This years judge is award winning author Jay Lake. Good luck and good hunting!
Signings throughout the weekend at NYCC for authors:
- Author signings for Orbit Books authors such as Kristen Painter, Kate Locke and others will be at the Hachette Book Group USA Booth 939
- Author signings for Tor books will be at the Tor Books Booth 945
- Author signings for Random House Del Rey Booth 1041
- Author signings for HarperCollins Booth 944
- Author signings for Quirk Books Booth 1732
- Author signings for Harlequin books Booth 2021
- Author signings for Simon & Schuster Booth 2612
Various booths you need to check out during your weekend at NYCC:
- Rocklove Jewelry This artist has some of the very best jewelry in NYC in the CULTYARD Booth 783
- Head Kandi selling NYCC exclusive Steampunk hair falls Booth 177
- Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art Booth 2631
- Comic Book Legal Defense Fund Booth 1158
- Steven Walker & Jared Axelrod Artist’s Alley Table L5
- The Blond Swan Hats Booth 245
- YaYahan.com great cosplay steampunk wings Booth 379
- Pendragon Costumes leather gear seen on the hit TV show Castle Booth 2720
- Wildside Press selling copies of the new Steampunk titles including Blood in the Skies while supplies last Booth 177
- Steampunk Leather the best hand made artisan quality steampunk leather goods Booth 177
Use this to help you plan your weekend with NYCC:
RSVP via Facebook here : NYCC steampunk
Come dressed your best, have fun, and meet the artists who create what you love to read and see.
I was on the Glory of Day when she fell out of the sky. I rode the flames and shattered gears down into the cold, dark Reine, survived because I was only half-alive to begin with. Two times I’ve been dragged out of the wreckage of a zepliner, two times I’ve walked away. This time I was just a passenger. The first time I was a captain, Pilot, and only survivor. The sky doesn’t like me much.
—Heart of Veridon / Tim Akers
Reblogged from gabrielle-gantz